Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Putting a revised tree onto FT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brit

Brit Report 16 Oct 2009 17:42

Hi Can anyone help me with this please...I put my GR tree onto my Family Tree programme, but since then have made a number of corrections and additions. How can I re-import my tree from Genes onto the FT tree. Is there a way I can delete the old tree on FT first? Thanks for your advice. Brit

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 16 Oct 2009 17:46

Why would you want to put an incorrect tree back onto your FT programme?

Anyway, if you re-export your tree from GR (assuming you dont still have the original copy), you can save it under a different name and then import it into your FT programme. Save this as a different name to your corrected file name.

Brit

Brit Report 16 Oct 2009 18:11

Hi Keith thanks for your reply. What I want to do is put the revised version (corrected version) that is on GR onto FT and delete the old one on FT.

I will try doing as you suggest, hope it works as I don't fancy making all the changes on the FT version. Best regards.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Oct 2009 19:08

I think Brit means she has made the amendments to her GR tree and wants to get it onto her own computer.

I imagine most people do it the other way round - their own computer has the latest version, so need to upload a new one to GR every now and again.

Margaret

Brit

Brit Report 16 Oct 2009 21:18

Thanks for the tip Keith. I exported my tree from GR and it went to the FT programme on my computer, asked if I wanted to replace the one already there and then did so. I now have what I was looking for, thanks very much. It was easy peasy.

Trust me to do everything backwards Margaret. LOL!

Christine

Christine Report 17 Oct 2009 09:36

Brit, I do it that way as well! I like the GR tree because its easy to add and amend the information quickly, and I can see the relationships clearly. I find the other one is good for the direct line back, but not so good at showing siblings I later amend my other programme, which is the free one from Familysearch.

Also, I've just had a huge problem with my computer (very expensive!) and my main thought until it was fixed was that at least my GR tree was still there with all the information!

Brit

Brit Report 17 Oct 2009 17:38

Chrisine I just saw your reply. Yes I find the GR format very much easier. I have Family Tree 2006 and although it is good I can't seem to navigate it very well. As you say, if you have a problem with your computer you could lose it all if it weren't safely on GR. Cheers Brit

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Oct 2009 18:17

Brit, you are clearly not alone, so do what works for you.

I would worry about my main tree being online, it's in someone else's hands and maybe I'm a control freak. I take regular back-ups (which you should do wherever your main tree is).

Plus, if it's online you can't work on it if your internet connection is down, or being slow, or if (like the sad *&%!? I am) you take your laptop on holiday to a remote location in your caravan.

Anyway, each to his own and happy hunting!

Margaret