Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

tips required on finding birth father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

blackrose

blackrose Report 17 Oct 2009 09:55

I was trying to find my birth father or relatives before I had my stroke in april and I now wish to try again. His name was Gordon cook and I think born in the early 1930s. He met my mother in carlisle and I was born in 1959 and adopted in 1960. Any tips would be welcome

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Oct 2009 12:22

Blackrose, have you any contact at all with your mother's side of the family? Sometimes relatives have snippets of info which can really help. Without this it's quite tricky with his name. What about the social services route?
Jan

blackrose

blackrose Report 17 Oct 2009 15:53

I was adopted but through genes am now in touch with half siblings and cousin. I did actually meet birth mother in 1985 and she said he had a sister called either Ann or susan and she believed he was born in currock area of carlisle but I've not come up with anything

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Oct 2009 16:03

This is a real challenge isn't it? Assuming he was born in the area, and of course you can't know that, I have found just one:

Name: Gordon A Cook
Mother's Maiden Surname: Armstrong
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1930
Registration district: Wigton
Registration county: Cumberland, Northumberland/Westmorland
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 851

Jan

Jean

Jean Report 17 Oct 2009 17:07

Hi Blackrose, I have emailed you.

blackrose

blackrose Report 17 Oct 2009 17:38

yes the cook at wigton seems quite plausable as its only a few miles from Carlisle and I did make contact with son who was helpful and emailed me a few times as he wanted to get to the bottom of this but his father is dead but mother still alive. That was last christmas and hes disappeared. I dont want to cause trouble but it would just be lovely to come across someone who knew about me and I'm convinced someone must as apparently his parents wanted to adopt me but were not allowed and knowing that makes me believe it was talked about and that he wasnt heartless

Sheila

Sheila Report 17 Oct 2009 19:34

Hi Chris,

Think I may have found his sister will pm you.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 17 Oct 2009 21:48

This looks to be the parents of Gordon A Cook

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005
about Mary B Armstrong
Name: Mary B Armstrong
Spouse Surname: Cook
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1929
Registration district: Wigton
Registration county (inferred): Cumberland
Volume Number: 10b
Page Number: 1209
Find Spouse: William J Cook

There are several sisters. Have you traced them?

Rose

blackrose

blackrose Report 18 Oct 2009 10:42

thanks rose this is the one I keep coming up with.

blackrose

blackrose Report 20 Oct 2009 09:12

rose although I have access to tree relating to this cook there arent any sisters on. I know this doesnt mean anything as the son I've communicated has mentioned two, anne and I cant remember other