Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM 2009 vs FTM 2010

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 19 Oct 2009 13:03

Could anyone tell me the differents between FTM 2009 and FTM 2010 please.

I am currently using FTM 2006 and am thinking of updating to a newer version and was wondering if it is worth buying FTM 2010 or just buying FTM 2009 which I assume would be cheaper.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Oct 2009 14:09

FTM 2008 was a completely new program, bearing little resemblance to FTM 2006. Many users prefer to stick with 2006, but if you do wish to go for the new version you need to be looking at least FTM 2009.The original 2008 issue had lots of faults and omissions and these were largely sorted in the 2009 release.

The following is a list of what is new in FTM 2010.

Enhanced integration with Ancestry.com - Import your Ancestry.com family tree, along with attached photos.

Improved organization - Enjoy new ways to organize photos and other media.

Slideshows - Create slideshows from photos in your tree.

Standard source templates - Cite the right information every time.
A new person view - View relationships within the context of your entire family tree.

Scanner support - Add photos directly from your scanner.

Family migration paths - View timelines and interactive maps highlighting events and places in your ancestors’ lives.

Better Performance - Experience faster load times and navigation.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Oct 2009 14:12

I would just add that the Deluxe, Platinum etc versions contain exactly the same software with identical functionality.

The difference is in the extras that you get bundled with it, such as the Ancestry package

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 19 Oct 2009 14:27

I have the FTM2005.I also have the 2010 Platinum...still the box waiting on OH helping me with it.
I got it from Tesco club vouchers £15, it was advvertised as 2009 but when it arrived it is the 2010 version. You also get 6mth ancestry free.

Not the answer to your question but thought i would let you know.

Marion

LadyoftheForest

LadyoftheForest Report 19 Oct 2009 14:37

Thanks everyone for all your messages - it gives me something to think about.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Nov 2009 06:09

n