Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could anyone recommend me some tree building softw

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Talie

Talie Report 19 Oct 2009 15:23

Hello :)
I'm currently using myheritage tree builder online.
I'm not a really serious researcher of my family, but i've reached my 250 people limit on myheritage and I think i'm at the point where I would like some good software to store all of my family infomation, but I don't want to pay out to much as i'm saving my pennys up for a holiday on my 18th.

I've been looking into the Family Tree Maker by ancestry, with the so many months free access, the free access sounds pretty good to me, but I have no idea what version that would suit my needs. could anyone recommend one of them?

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 19 Oct 2009 15:24

I've used Family Tree Maker for years. I can't remember which version I have as it's pretty old but it's perfect for my use. I have several thousand names on it and it's easy to find people and change things.

Talie

Talie Report 19 Oct 2009 15:29

Thanks! that at least gives me some confidence in the older software.

Just thought of another question..
What happens If I get a new laptop? Will I lose everthing and have to start again on my new laptop?

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 19 Oct 2009 15:55

I'm not very technical; but when we had a new computer my husband transferred all the information on to the new one.

I occasionally do a back up of the FTM on a memory stick thingy and we put it on to our (even older) pc upstairs in case of a bad crash.