Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice please sorted thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

michael2

michael2 Report 19 Oct 2009 16:35

if i remove my tree from g/r will i still be able to view other peoples tree that i have permisson to view? or will i lose them . thank you msc

michael2

michael2 Report 19 Oct 2009 16:49

hi jonesey i will try that thank you

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Oct 2009 16:51

Provided you don't let your membership lapse, then yes. But, of course they wont have anything in your tree to look at.

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Oct 2009 16:53

Well if you remain a paying member you will still be able to see your contacts trees.
BUT
If I was one of your contacts I would be extremely upset and delete access.

michael2

michael2 Report 19 Oct 2009 17:06

hi thank you all for your reply,s i think i should exsplain why i want to delete on my tree there are a lot of mistakes i/e joe blogs then unknown then spouse,s name i have asked g/r how to remove them they say i will have to delete all that line as i have over 70 of them like that it will take forever g/r said they would remove them for me if i let them have all the name, s . i hope that by removing my tree and exporting my ancestry tree it will cure the problem i hope you can under stand what i mean. msc

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Oct 2009 17:24

Ok, think we understand your motives now.

Many of us on here maintain their tree on their PC, using software such as FTM, and then upload all or part of it to GR every now and again. If you do this then there is no need to delete anything, as the act of uploading a new gedcom to GR will automatically replace everything you had on here before.

You will loose any Hot Matches you had, but these will be re-built in the fullness of time.

michael2

michael2 Report 19 Oct 2009 17:52

hi hawkwind sorry for delay in replying i do not have ftm any more m as when my computer crass i lost ftm i did try to reinstall it but kept geting error then some no.s so i removed it altogether. so i only have a tree on ancestry and g/r that,s why i thought i would close my tree on here and reexport from ancestry . i may well buy some other ftm at a later stage. thank you for your help . msc