Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

two things....................

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 19 Oct 2009 17:46

1st........................ Would I be right in thinking that the reason I cannot find some of my ancestors marriages in the new Ancestry Parish Records is because they took place in Catholic Churches (both my parents were Catholic and so at least one of each of their parents must have been)

2nd........................ Ancestry seem to have lost the River Thames. They now show areas of Kent and Surrey which are in S.London (I was born and raised there) as being in Middlesex, which is on the other side of the River. I imagine this could be confusing to people who are not familiar with London. It is really bad in the new Parish Records.

Pat

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Oct 2009 17:51

Well boundaries changed and a lot of the area south of the Thames came under middlesex etc then
Deptford and Greenwich etc came under Kent then but are now SE London. I came from that area too
The Catholic Church holds on to their records so think you would have to know which Church and appy direct

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Oct 2009 21:35

Patricia

don't forget that many many boundaries in England have changed over the years, even very recently ........ and the records we see are what was in existence at the time.

The transcribers are not allowed to change what is in the records ............ ... they have to transcribe what they see. This of course is one reason why we get mis-spelled names becuase the transcriber "saw" it that way.

My husband's birth certificate, 1938, woud tell you that he was born in a nursing home in a village in Wales ................ but that village is now in England, and has been so since about 1939 or so! The Welsh/English border was moved a couple of miles.

and please tell me what is Merseyside???

That didn't exist when I left the UK in 1967!

Rutland existed, then didn't exist, but now exists again .................. all since 1967.

sylvia

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 19 Oct 2009 21:43

Patricia

It was only Church of England records that were shown in the parish register. The Catholic Church as well as non-conformist places of worship like the Methodists, Baptists, Congregationalists, etc were not included. The same applies to christenings and burials.

Michael

RobG

RobG Report 20 Oct 2009 09:45

Shirley,
Middlesex never went south of the Thames, well at least not in this context. Maybe the odd small area if you go by postal counties, which are a totally different animal.

wisechild

wisechild Report 20 Oct 2009 13:15

Patricia.
It seems that most of the Westminster records donĀ“t show because Westminster archives are seperate & as far as I know are not on-line.
Just my luck to need St Clement Danes & St James!!
Marion