Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Ancestors who were in the Army/Navy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 20 Oct 2009 14:00

I have heard that the men that went into the army had their birth details taken of the registers. Is this correct because im finding it difficult to find a few of my male ancestors?

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 20 Oct 2009 14:17

Kelly

What timescale are you looking at? I do not know of any servicemen having their bitrh details removed.

My Dad was in the Royal Navy his birth record is on the records

George

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 20 Oct 2009 14:44

No, not true as far as I'm aware. What time period do you mean and do you know anything about their service in the Army - Regiment, rough year of discharge etc?

Kelly

Kelly Report 22 Oct 2009 09:09

Hi, Thank you both for the replies.

I am trying to find the father of a relatvies friend. He was born Nov 1912, a Henry Barnes i believe.
My relative had heard that as he was in the forces his birth details may have been hidden. I was just querying if this was the case. I havent been told any other details of regiment etc but next time i visit i will ask.

Thank again for you help, much appreciated

Kelly x