Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 21 Oct 2009 08:42

Morning has anyone any idea why I can't get into my tree
Please

Margaret

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 21 Oct 2009 09:25

I was going to suggest maybe its something to do with all the 'going's on' lastnight.,but I got into mine ok.

Marion

Sue

Sue Report 21 Oct 2009 09:26

Morning. Not really an answer, but I can get in to my tree with no problem.
Sue

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Oct 2009 09:30

Ok for me.

Can you describe what happens when you try?

Persephone

Persephone Report 21 Oct 2009 10:04

Margaret

It may not be tree related as you can obviously get into Genes and the message board. My advice is to restore back to the day before you found this problem. You will not lose anything but you will get into your tree.

The other day my PC did a restart in the middle of me working on my tree and I could not get into the tree part. I also tried via someone elses tree by using the contacts and that did not work either, microsoft kept coming up with an error and kicking me out again.

So after restoring all was okay and I could then get into tree and into my shortcut method which was also jinxed. Plus the changes I had made on same day as crash were all there nicely saved.

Norma

Norma

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Oct 2009 10:22

Unless your PC has crashed and is displaying fault messages I would guard against doing a restore as this is not without its dangers. Also, unless you have created a restore point recently, then there will be nothing to restore back to.

So, as I suggested please describe what is happening first, and we can take it from there.

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 21 Oct 2009 11:14

thank you all I went over the shops came back and now could get into my tree. I don't know what went on last night.

Margaret

Christine

Christine Report 22 Oct 2009 11:07

Margaret, I haven't been able to get into anything on GR for the last day or so - until now. Every time I clicked on Family Tree or Community I got a message saying I was being shut down.

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Oct 2009 11:24

Trying to get into GR from home often locks up internet explorer.
That's the only site that does it !

If I switch to Firefox there are no problems.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Oct 2009 11:46

Brian,

I tend to use Firefox most of the time as I prefer it to IE.

One of the reasons IE seems to hang is that it has run out of space to load the tree pages in. This is especially true if IE suddenly seems to stop working part way through a session. Pressing F5 sometimes does the trick, or clear out the cache and try again.

However the problem will only come back in time. So, the trick is to increase the amount of disk allocated for browsing. You might also want to reduce the amount of time browser pages are held, as this will also free up space and make sure that the cache is cleare each time you close IE.

For some reason, Firefox seems to manage it's browser cache that bit better, but you still need to house-keep every now and again.

BrianW

BrianW Report 22 Oct 2009 11:52

Thank you Hawkwind.
I'll have a play-around with the settings.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Oct 2009 13:12

Just doing some testis now. It is taking about 14 seconds to load my tree in IE8 but only 7 seconds in Firefox. It is quite large with several thousand names in it.

I know that doesn't actually prove anything conclusively but it is typical of what I see when comparing the speed the two browsers.

I have IE8 cache set to the maximum of 1024MB You could try a smaller figure e.g. 250 MB and see if it makes any difference.