Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

undertakers records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sue

sue Report 22 Oct 2009 08:19

Hi

I am just wondering when some one dies do undertakers keep records of who paid for the funeral.

If so how long would the records last for.
I have someone in the 1930 who had a private grave .

Thanks for your time
Sue

sue

sue Report 22 Oct 2009 10:03

Thanks Jonesey

The grave is over grown.

I might see if the undertaker is still around.

Sue

Camille

Camille Report 22 Oct 2009 10:04

Hi Sue I cannot answer your question but it may be an idea to ring an Undertaker and ask there .

Michael

Michael Report 22 Oct 2009 12:06

the people who run the cemetery is going to be as good a place to start as any as they should know who purchased the grave and who owns it now.

Jean

Jean Report 22 Oct 2009 13:26

I have enquired at my local cemetary who purchased my Grt Grandmothers grave in 1927 and was told they couldn't tell me because of the 100 year act of confidential records

Christine

Christine Report 22 Oct 2009 14:02

On the death of my uncle in 2007, when he was buried in the same grave as my grandmother, I arranged the funeral and the ownership of the plot passed to me (my uncle owned it previously). Can't lay my hands on the paperwork at the moment, but I believe all the correspondence cam from the Borough Council. I actually have the deed, but I don't think it says anywhere who purchased the plot.

Linda

Linda Report 22 Oct 2009 17:36

Hi
My local council( Cardiff ) under Berevment Services
on the council web site offer a service where those who are buried after 1912 they will tell you where that person is buried and who shares the grave with them i found this most helpful for addindg details to your tree and best of all it was for free over the telephone, They also but with a charge could give you details on those buried before 1912
hope this helps and maybe other councils offer a similar service

Linda

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 22 Oct 2009 18:11

St Helens Council have a free to search website for their municipal cemeetary and crematorium. It says whether a grave is purchased or public and who is buried in each plot. This goes up to 2008 so I do see how the 100 years act for confidential records comes in.

It has been very useful in finding relatives.

sue

sue Report 22 Oct 2009 18:52

Thanks for everyones replys.
I will try all the different ways you have said.
It is worth ago.

Sue