Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

suiside

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 23 Oct 2009 16:25

how can i find infomation on a suiside? my great grandad william barnsdale apparently tried to commit suiside on a railway in 1892, it failed because he was sent to prison for unlawfully obstructing a railway. in 1910 september his brother joseph barnsdale committed suiside in the same village.. how couls i find out if he jumped in front of the train also?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Oct 2009 16:31

the death cert will state cause of death and may enlarge on the facts

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Oct 2009 16:31

Name: Joseph A Barnsdale
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Year of Registration: 1910
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 66
District: Newark
County: Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire
Volume: 7b
Page: 240

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 23 Oct 2009 16:33

The local newspaper may have a record of the events, if you can get to the local library.

Sue C

Sue C Report 23 Oct 2009 16:33

Buying his death certificate would be a start.

If he committed suicide, it should tell you by what means.

Quoy

Quoy Report 23 Oct 2009 18:50

The Pall Mall Gazette Sep 30th 1892
" TO SEE HOW IT WOULD CUT UP"
At the North Holland (Lincolnshire) Petty Sessions yesterday William Barnsdale was charged with attempting to upset trains on the Great Northern Railway by placing obstructions on the line at Swineshead. The driver of the goods train said that on the 12th inst his engine gave a lurch aand he discovered an iron bolt on the rails.The prisoner was observed to place a piece of wood in front of an approaching train and when asked why he did it said,"To see how it would cut up".
He was commited for trial

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2009 20:57

You could also try the local Archives and Local Studies Centre.

I wanted to see the newspaper report of my gt grandfather's death from falling out of a train.

I contacted the newspaper I knew about, in operation since well before the event ........... and they had nothing on their microfiches.

Then I found the Local Studies web site ......... and they listed holdings for a whole lot of newspapers I'd never heard about, some in operation for only a year or so.

I emailed them on a Sunday evening, a researcher searched the newspapers, and contacted me the NEXT morning!

The inquest had been reported in one of the short-lived newspapers.

They copied the 2 pages, and mailed them (airmail) to me in Canada, all for no cost.

I had the hard copy in my hot little hands by the following Monday!

I was most impressed!!!

sylvia