Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find my past V Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Oct 2009 14:34

I already have a subscription with ancestry but Find my Past has an offer of 20% off at the moment. For 12 months it works out £119.95 Would I get good value for money for that, given that I am on Ancestry? It includes access to 1911 census which I have not accessed as yet.

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 24 Oct 2009 14:42

Hi Ann,
I have just purchased a sub for the 1911 census.£59.99 for a year, I was in two minds as to find my past, but decided to stick with Ancestry and just have 1911 census. I did it this morning but still can't access the census keeps telling me I need to buy credits.
do you think it takes time to filter through.
Gill

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 Oct 2009 14:43

You can buy a subscription to the 1911 without buying FMP but you don't get the discount.
I will go with Ancestry plus 1911.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Oct 2009 14:49

thanks, I have Ancestry for 12 months but only the basic subscription. Does FMP have anything except the 1911 that I don't have in my basic subs? maybe that will be a consideration, I will have to check it out.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Oct 2009 15:32

I think it would be better to upgrade Ancestry to premium and take out a 1911 subscription. Anyone agree?

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 24 Oct 2009 16:16

Hi Gill,

Are you getting confused with the two sites for the 1911 census. My apologies to you if you're not.

As you have purchased a sub for the 1911 census you have to go through Findmy past to view. The official 1911 site which is powered by Findmy past is still pay to view. I get the feeling you must be searching on the official 1911 site which is why you are being asked to buy credits.

Chris

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 24 Oct 2009 16:30

Chris is right

1911 census is provided by find my past so even if you buy subs through ancestry you have to go to find my past to view and search

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 24 Oct 2009 16:50

Hi Chrissie,
Yes, confused is my middle name, lol
I have sorted it now, through find my past. I had paid through my e-mail link, then later tried to get in it through the 1911 census.
My excuse I am just getting over the flu!!!!!!
Gill x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Oct 2009 17:20

Glad you got that sorted!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Oct 2009 01:08

Personally, I would stick with ancestry, and use the 1911 site, www.fmpbsol.1911census.co.uk/, buying credits as needed.

One thing I really do not like about the subscription to the 1911 through fmp is that they delete all records that you have looked at when you sign off at the end of a session .........

...... ti's easy to say, save all records to your own computer, but what about the record that you looked at, discounted for whatever reason, then several days/weeks later you want to re-check it because of new information?

You have to open it up anew, thus counting as a new search .............. whereas on the 1911 site all records that you have paid to open remain in your saved box on the site.

Plus, it seems that there is not unlimited access to the 1911 as fmp says in its advertising.

There have been several threads on this over the last few days

................ people have posted that there is a maximum number of lookups you can do over a rolling 3 month period, fmp will be watching this, and if you exceed the amount they reserve the right to charge you more or to cut off your access.

I quite see where they don't want professional researchers doing their research on the cheap ......... but it seems that the maximum number might be easily reached by thee or me ....... especially if you offer to do lookups for other people on GR.

sylvia