Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP NEEDED PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terrisbox

Terrisbox Report 25 Oct 2009 20:28

Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong? I cannot find a record of my grandfather on the 1911 census. I have his name, year and place of birth. Desperatly trying to find out who my great grandfather was. I have no living relatives that i know of to find out any information. Any advice would be welcomed.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 25 Oct 2009 20:31

If you tell me his details I'll have a look on the free index.

Perhaps you are putting in too much information. Have you tried entering just his name?

EDIT: If you have his name and place and dob you could send for his birth cert

Janet

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Oct 2009 20:58

I have found that on the 1911 census quite a few of my relatives names have been transcribed slightly wrongly but I managed to find them by searching for other members of the family that I thought should be living with them.

For example my father's middle name was Vaughan but it is transcribed on the 1911 census as Vaugha(m). My mother-in-law's first name was Winifred but she is transcribed as Winfred (without the i ). Only small mistakes but stops them coming up on a search for their proper names.

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Oct 2009 21:52

If your grandfather married, his father should be named on the marriage certificate.
Would you like to tell us a few details, incase we can find him.

Gwyn

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 26 Oct 2009 04:21

You need to use advanced search to use name Variants.

This will bring up all mistranscriptions and

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Oct 2009 13:34

You are not alone.
I spent yesterday evening trying to trace James Francis Sherwood, born 1859 in Lympne, Kent and who died in 1928 in Canning Town, London(certificate held).
In 1901 he was in Bromley by Bow, profession sheet metal worker (galvaniser).
I presume he's been mistranscribed, so will have to do some creative thinking.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 26 Oct 2009 18:40

Cathy.

When I go onto 1911 I have to use "show advanced fields" to access the name variants option.

PigletsPal
I sent in a name change for a mistranscription for my grandmother. Her middle name was Ruby but they had Ridley.

I must say looking at the image it didnt look like Ruby or Ridley. However I got a reply back from FMP and they have accepted the name change

Brian in Essex GC
I found someone using his first name and occupation . His surname was mistranscribed

You could use " surnames starting with " option and go through the alphabet