Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 25 Oct 2009 22:38

Please does anyone know if it is possible/where would one access divorce records..

Area Leicester, year 1952

Misty x

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 26 Oct 2009 06:31

Thank you Joan

I was so excited last night, thinking we might at last have a lead on these people, I never thought to look on the National Archives site....

Looks like my excitement was premature....never mind, onwards and upwards...as they say!!

Thanks again for the info...

Misty x

Mummy Bear

Mummy Bear Report 26 Oct 2009 07:35

Misty
The more recent years are not available for the public to search. The search has to be done by the Courts Service. Its also very expensive ~£50 - I think thats what I paid the last time.

HMCS (Her Majesty's Court Service)
Principle Registry of the Family Division
Decree Absolute Searches
R 2.03
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn
London
WC1V 6NP

Tel 020 7947 7016 or 7017
MB

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 26 Oct 2009 13:03

I went Mummy Bear's route for a divorce but much earlier - 1907. They told me that the papers for that year had not survived but could tell me that the couple actually did divorce as they were on the index. They kept all my £25 to tell me that (£25 was the fee a couple of years ago).

I then found out (through a GR member) that the index was online and I successfully applied for the records - cost me about £17 by post. I could have downloaded online for the same fee.

This does not help Mistycat or others (including myself) looking for later divorces, but it goes to show that the London Office is not, perhaps, the place to apply for earlier ones. Added to that, they are very slow!

Mistycat

Mistycat Report 27 Oct 2009 15:07

Sorry for slow reply..

Thank you for the info Mummy Bear and Birdsinanest...

Misty x