Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Replying to Threads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Derek

Derek Report 26 Oct 2009 13:16

I notice that one of our contributors is called "Click the Reply Button not my name"...........which, for Newbies is a very good Tip.
If you click on the name you get onto the Private Messages..or PM's.......which for a lot of us is a pain in the neck.
If you click on the Purple "Reply" button your enquiry stays on the Thread.
Tip number 2.always Bookmark your Thread.a lot of people seem not to get back to their Thread becasue they have forgotten where it is. if you Bookmark it you can retrieve it any time you want.
And it helps us to help you!!

Derek

English Bob

English Bob Report 26 Oct 2009 15:48

...I have often wondered the same about deleting "my threads" especially if only a small reply was given.

The only way I know how to.... is delete the contribution post.

Bob

AllanC

AllanC Report 26 Oct 2009 17:25

Bookmarking is useful if you think you will want to keep coming back to that thread later, when it has perhaps slipped down to somewhere like 99th on the board or in "MyThreads".

Also, a thread will not appear in "My Threads" unless you actually add a post to it.

But, as others have pointed out, if there's any information you want to keep permanently, you need to copy and paste it into a document on your own computer (and even maybe back it up on CD/DVD/memory stick).

See http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1185253 for more about saving vital information.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Oct 2009 02:42

You cannot delete a thread that appears on My Threads unless you delete the posting on the thread

some people do that

but there are lots of us who don't like the practise of deleting posts, for several reasons

a) it leaves a blank in the thread, and other readers wondering what was said

b) it could lead to the research being re-done

Anyway, why do you want to delete threads?

They are not stored on your hard drive, but at GR, so are not taking up any of your storage ........ and they just slip further and further back.

I don't look at any threads on my My Threads beyond the last one that had had no postings following my last posting ........ that very rarely goes past p.1

The only reason I might search further back would be if I wanted to check something ...................... or if I have this funny feeling that there is something very familiar about a new thread.Then I might search back to see if there has been a previous thread, to avoid repeating work already done.

sylvia

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Oct 2009 04:48

Think my ears are burning! LOL

Rose

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Oct 2009 09:08

I've resorted to making a little copy of my "getting back to your thread" instructions which I then copy and paste when replying to PM's, just changing the name!! Saves a lot of typing time and seems to work. Goes like this:

Dear x.

To get back to your thread do this:

click on "community"
click on "my threads" (on the left) - this will bring up all threads you have posted on
click on the thread you want
click on purple "reply" button
type message
click "submit"

Good luck!

Derek

Derek Report 27 Oct 2009 09:34

Yes Rose..its all your fault....but what a cracking idea!! brilliant

Derek