Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Entertainment in the 1800's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Duane

Duane Report 29 Oct 2009 06:49

My family were entertainers in London during the 1800's. Are there sites or people that can be contacted to find any information about them or even where to look. I believe they may have been musicians.
thx
Duane

PollyPoppet

PollyPoppet Report 29 Oct 2009 09:59

hi have you tried to google their names to see if anything comes up

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 29 Oct 2009 10:25

You could try 'The Stage' free to search but pay to view. It started February 1880.

http://www.thestage.co.uk/

and click on Archive.

Chris

Duane

Duane Report 30 Oct 2009 05:37

thx for the help. Yes i have tried google, i just hope they used their real names. I will look at the sites reccomended.
I live in Australia, thats why i am looking for websites that can help.
thx
Duane

Beverley

Beverley Report 30 Oct 2009 15:14

I am also in the same position. My grandmas cousin (my gt gt cousin?) was on the stage in the early 1900s. I've tried the stage after reading about it here thanks. I found a few snippets with Violet Ray on which I was looking for, dont know if its actually her though.

Heather

Heather Report 30 Oct 2009 16:39

What years are you talking about? Have you found them on any census from 1841 to 1911 as musicians?

Duane

Duane Report 31 Oct 2009 05:34

Realy it is from about1860's to 1900. Most of the sensus records show, musician or musical agent. The stage is a bit vague and also later. It mentions William Broughton but it could be anyone realy. Not sure where to go from here.
Thx for all the help though.