Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family move into "Essex"

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 30 Oct 2009 10:35

I have obtained BMD records from my rellie who lived the "other side of the Iron Bridge", ie west of Canning Town, and find that about 1865 they started to move en bloc into West Ham.

The Royal group of docks were being built about that time, but the houses in that area date from about 1890. Where was this very large work force housed?

Kathlyn

wisechild

wisechild Report 30 Oct 2009 12:34

Don´t know if it´s any help but one of my families was the same & they were mostly dock workers.
From the 1850s until the 1890s they were living in Stepney, mostly in Mile End Old Town, but then the next generation gravitated to West Ham & Walthamstow.
Marion

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Oct 2009 13:15

Same here!! my maternal grt grandfather worked in the London Docks and lived in West Ham when he was killed in 1910 due to an accident in the Docks. Prior to 1890 they lived Canning Town and Mile End Old Town

Reece

Reece Report 30 Oct 2009 15:31

Have a look at Lal & Amy's West Ham Timeline or google History of West Ham, Essex. Lots and lots of very interesting information - I'm researching in the same area.

Good luck.

Reece