Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gwailor Light Railway. - Inida Does anyone know o

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 1 Nov 2009 16:15

My ancestor was a chief supt with the GL Railway around 1880 - 1909 in India. I don't know where to find any info on his employment record. Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me or direct me to where I can access his records?

Many many thanks in advance,

Regards, Lou

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Nov 2009 16:20

what was his name?

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 1 Nov 2009 16:23

Hi Ann of Green Gables,

Many thanks, His name was William Henry Baker he was born in 1857 in India. Do you need anymore info?

thanks, Lou

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Nov 2009 16:38

could this be him?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Henry Baker Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 22 MAY 1857

Christening: 26 MAR 1859 Bombay, Maharashtra, India

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: William Baker Family
Mother: Sarah

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Nov 2009 16:40

or this one?

William Henry Baker Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 06 APR 1858

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: John Baker Family
Mother: Eliza

Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 1 Nov 2009 16:44

Hi Ann,of Green Gables,

Yes that's him (the first one).

I have his actual baptsim record and date of his death. What I'm trying to find is his employment record or census from 1881 onwards.

Lou

Theresa

Theresa Report 3 Nov 2009 10:28

Thackers Directories at the British Library have all this info but it takes a day to trawl thro them all. An enjoyable and exhausting day! plus you find all sorts of other interesting stuff. Staff are very helpful too.

Good luck

AllanC

AllanC Report 3 Nov 2009 13:03

Quite by chance I happen to have a copy of the "Universal Directory of Railway Officials, 1897" which lists over 60 railways in India, but the Gwailor Lt Ry (should it be Gwalior?) is not among them, presumably because it was still under construction - it opened in stages between 1899 and 1909. What remains of it has been proposed as a World Heritage site - see
http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5403/

Maybe if you could locate a later edition of the directory (try the library of the Stephenson Locomotive Society -http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk/SLSlibrary.htm ) you might find a bit about the Railway and its officers.

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 4 Nov 2009 16:09

Hi Theresa and Allan,

Theresa thanks for the very useful info on Thackers directors - plus the time needed to search, very usefull. Thanks,

Allan, Thanks very much on the info about when it opened. It was something I didn't know.

My ancestor was working for them prior to his death in 1909 so that info was very usefull timeline. Thanks a lot.
I will try both the web sites you suggest.

Thanks very much to you all for your great tips and help.

Regards and good luck to you all, Lou