Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merchant Services / Navey - are they the same?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 2 Nov 2009 00:14

Could anyone please advise the difference (if there is any) between the British Navy and the Merchant Services?

Are they one and the same thing? I have a number of relatives whose occupation in Scotland is given as either Merchant Services or Seaman, Merchant Services.

I have been told by one person that if you were in the Merchant Services that you were employed by the Master of the Ship only, you had no term to serve etc. I'm not sure if this is correct as the kind person who told me this wasn't sure himself, he just thought it might be that way.

Apologies if this is a too obvious question to ask, i don't live in the UK so I have no experience in this!

Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Nov 2009 00:18

The Royal Navy (or British Navy) is part of the Armed Forces.

The Merchant Navy is a non-combatant commercial fleet, which deals with transporting cargo and occasionally, passengers, by sea. Its fleet is therefore composed of passenger vessels, cargo liners, tankers, carriers, as well as other special types of vehicles.

Definitely two separate things.

Kath. x

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 2 Nov 2009 00:22

Thanks Kath!