Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ordering a birth cert from army indexes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda Rose

Linda Rose Report 3 Nov 2009 23:20

Can any one help please.

I have found a birth on the army indexes on findmypast.com and I need some advise. Can I order a certificate from these indexes and do I still go to the GRO and order the certificate in the usual way. The birth is 1831 in Killmana? Does anyone know where Killmana? is. Is it in Ireland?

Regards Linda

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Nov 2009 23:28

Yes, you go to the GRO to order the certificate but make sure you click on "Overseas Births" rather than "England and Wales" Births, because the reference numbers are different so the online form is slightly different.

There are a couple of places in Ireland called Kilmanagh

Kath. x

Linda Rose

Linda Rose Report 3 Nov 2009 23:40

Hi Kath

Thank you for clearing that problem up. The index place name is not very clear if i have transcribed it wrong do you think that will stop me getting a copy of the certificate?

Will it have the same information as normal certificates such as mother's maiden name?

Regards Linda

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Nov 2009 10:47

Hi Linda,

The certificate should have the same information regarding mother's maiden name etc.

Not sure about the place name being transcribed wrongly although I would think they should find the right certificate with the other numbers - but I can't be sure.

Kath. x