Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opening a Word Document, without Word installed. C

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 6 Nov 2009 12:37

I have received an email from a relative with some pictures attached.
The problem is that they are stored in a Word 2007 document and i dont have Word installed on my computer (It has windows XP, but i've always been able to make do with Works.)

Is there anyway i can view this attachment without downloading more software to my computer?

Thanks

Potty

Potty Report 6 Nov 2009 12:51

openoffice - free downloadable software can open Word 7 docs - Google it.

Or, ask the sender to save the original document with rtf as the file extension and resend

Or, ask the sender to send the photos themselves as attachments and to copy and paste the text into an email.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Nov 2009 12:54

We had the same problem, as Potty says we downloaded openoffice and it now seems OK.
Jan

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 6 Nov 2009 13:09

Thanks Potty and Jan,
The sender only has limited computer access and isnt overly computer literate so i was trying to avoid asking to resend. I will pass those tips onto her for future reference though.
(Im impatient to have to wait a fortnight or more to see the pictures!)

I'm attempting to dowload that software now (my internet connection is very temperamental!)

Gem

Edited: OpenOffice has finally dowloaded and it has opened document with no problems. Thanks again for your help.
~It turns out she hadnt just sent photographes, but some information on baptisms as well.