Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FreeBMD - what up?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Nov 2009 20:21

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed -- it's kind of pointless to try a board search for "freebmd" ;) .

For the last week or more it has been a complete pig -- it simply won't do searches, either taking so long it times itself out, or reporting that a search is just too heavy a burden (yeah, a search for a birth in a particular name for a two-year span??), or giving error messages and asking for patience.

I grow impatient. Any insiders here who have info? It just seems to have been too sudden to result from some upswing in usage.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Nov 2009 20:26

I've been finding it rather slow recently, but have just successfully searched with very quick results.
It's been updated today.
Could that have been part of the problem?

Gwyn

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 6 Nov 2009 20:40

Slightly slow but otherwise no probs with me,,,
Mayhap it just does not like you?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Nov 2009 21:09

Well I was getting error messages - with the usual insufferably snippy instructions from the management - right before I posted that.

I do probably a good 100 quick (ha) searches a day, and it seems like a good quarter of them are being stymied.

I think Viv is probably right. It hates me.

Julie

Julie Report 6 Nov 2009 21:38

When i have used it it's been fine for me but then again i don't do as many look ups as i used too.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Nov 2009 22:33

It was giving me problems on Monday. I gave up in the end and worked through the images on ancestry for the five years I was searching. BMD was still searching when i finished the task. never did find what I was looking for.

Sally

Sally Report 6 Nov 2009 22:37

i have been useing it all week had no trouble at all
i havent been abl to use genes all week but allright now

sally

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Nov 2009 22:41

I've been noticing problems in the evening UK time.

You can report problems to them at:
[email protected]

Say what you were doing (i.e. submitting, searching), the URL and the exact time (and timezone) that this happened (including the text of any error messages).

Rose

Joy

Joy Report 6 Nov 2009 22:48

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
Very speedy at present, unlike this site just now :-)

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 6 Nov 2009 23:01

Load of moaming old minnies;)

Tempting fate here but...
I am still haveing no probs with freebmd or GR.

I did with GR late last night though.
Every time I clicked on TTF it took me back to 2007 threads and wouldnt do now time,do you think I got caught in a time warp?wierd!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 6 Nov 2009 23:13

hahaha, Rose.

All the error / sorry we can't do that messages I get say DO NOT report anything to them!

I use it in the evening and night-time here in Canada, and it's somewhat better than during the day (which includes the English evening), but not a whole lot.

Oh yeah. I got booted off here just now for the second time this week (this isn't something that ever used to happen to me, although I've heard others complain loud and long). Then, yes Viv, it wouldn't respond to me trying to log back in. So I just back-paged, and here I am, still here ...

I dunno, I know FreeBMD is free and all, but this is also the 21st century and I just don't understand how simple database searches can take so long or be so difficult for it to do!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Nov 2009 01:01

I haven't had too many problems this week

and when it has been very slow, it's because I have asked it to search a lot of records.

But then .......................... I have to admit I haven't used it much today!

~~~~~ Viv

sylvia