Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An address in Blackpool

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

oldbean

oldbean Report 10 Nov 2009 12:07

Please can anyone offer advise on how to obtain an address members of my family were living at early 1940s. I guess it would be to find a census and if anyone knows to whom I should apply. Thank you for any help available

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 10 Nov 2009 12:12

Census returns have a 100 yr closure

You can look on Electoral Rolls usually in local libraries but they are only searchable by address and not name. So could be a long search.
What about telephone directories? Ancestry have some up to about 1960

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Nov 2009 12:20

there werent any census done in the war years BUT even if they had been done you couldn't view the info because of the 100 year closure.
Electoral rolls would be the answer but as already said you need the address rather than the name which is the other way round to what you have,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Nov 2009 12:21

were there any BMD,s in that time as a cert would give an address

oldbean

oldbean Report 10 Nov 2009 12:42

Thanks all for looking at this for me

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 10 Nov 2009 12:48

There were no electoral registers during war years either.
As Shirley says, you need a marriage or birth (or even possibly death) cert from around that time.
Jan

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 10 Nov 2009 14:35

If you do not mind putting the names of the family on this thread someone may recognise the names and be able to help. People did not move around quite as much then and the first electoral registers taken after the war may help.