Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Two Questions About 1911 Census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glenda

Glenda Report 12 Nov 2009 08:18

If a widowed mother was living in a house with two of her married children + g rand children would it tell who the childrens parents were.
Also if you had a widowed mother living with her son , he as head of house ,would it tell you how many children she had .
Thankyou Glenda

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Nov 2009 08:24

My understanding is:-

It would not tell you who the parents were, only those present at the time of the census are listed.

The question re No: of children applies to each married woman listed on the census, so if filled in correctly, it would give the details of her children, but not the son's.

Glenda

Glenda Report 12 Nov 2009 08:40

thankyou, so if there were more than one set of parents and several children will it tell me who belongs to who

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Nov 2009 09:28

You should be able to work it out but it all depends how well the form was filled in.

For example if there is a son and his wife living with the son's mother, the number of children for the sons wife will be shown, and any there at the time will have their names listed. They should also appear as grandson / grandaughter, their relationship to the head of the house.

The 1911 census is no different to earlier ones in this respect, except for the addition of the section recording the no of children for each married woman. However, you won't see their names unless they were resident there on the night of the census.

Glenda

Glenda Report 12 Nov 2009 10:07

Hawkwind, thankyou very much for your help
Glenda

Kay????

Kay???? Report 12 Nov 2009 10:10

1911 I have a widow living with a Son ,wife and children,,,,,only the marriage,childrens details are listed of the Son,,,,,,,,,,the mother is just, down as "Mother" to the head.,her marriage details children are not listed....

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 12 Nov 2009 11:13

I hope no-one minds my jumping in. Putting off cleaning the cat's litter tray Urgh!

Kay - I suppose this is correct as the form asks for married women to state details of years married/number of living and deceased children of the present marriage.

As she was a widow, she is no longer married so the questions do not apply. That is how I understand it.

Having said that, my g grandma was divorced but still entered the details of her marriage; she gave number of years married as if she was STILL married!. She also put the number of children that she had borne.

Glenda

Glenda Report 12 Nov 2009 13:16

thankyou, Kay and Birdsinanest ,might take chance and pay to see the image ,just trying to find out what kind of information i am likely to find, before I pay as it all adds up
Glenda

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Nov 2009 14:09

As I said it is as good as the information provided. Not all is corrected if wrong either, so you might see more than you expect. The only way is to view the page.

I have seen some where children's statistics have been put against the fathers name. Some have a line ruled through but not all.

I am sure that other members will come up with as many variations as there are days in the week.