Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Handwriting

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Nov 2009 20:11

I have an old photo - 1890. The back has a signature, the christian name is written as Ja with the a curling up to what appears to be an s. Does anyone know if this was how James was written or maybe it could be Joseph? As I am trying to reunite this photo I would love to decipher the christian name. Thanks

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Nov 2009 20:15

James is sometimes written as Jas

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Nov 2009 20:30

Thanks for that Barbara - now the hunt for a James Durkan in PA who sent the photo to my grandfather in 1890.

AllanC

AllanC Report 12 Nov 2009 21:34

Many names were often abbreviated like that, with just one or two of the first letters and then the last letter as a small letter up above (the technical term is superscript). Obviously I can't do superscript here but typical abbreviations were Jas (James), Wm (William), Chas (Charles), Jn (John).

Eileen

Eileen Report 8 Mar 2010 16:39

Just to thank Barbara and AllanC who gave me some advice last November. I managed to trace the living relatives in Califonia and the photo is now where it belongs with the family.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 8 Mar 2010 17:15

Eileen

What a lovely thing to do.

The family must have been very pleased, I know I would be.

Chris