Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Glynis

Glynis Report 13 Nov 2009 23:22

Do you know where to find divorce papers? As far as I can tell we're talking between 1911 and 1922 which I would think was not a common occurrance. Would they be in records offices dealing the specific area of divorce or held Nationally somewhere. Its the first one I've come across

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 13 Nov 2009 23:36

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

This is the link to the National Archives. They have an index to divorces up to (I think) the 1930's so you should find what you are looking for.

Choose 'search Catalogue' and put in J77 as the reference.

You will still need to purchase the documents.

For example; I paid £17 for my great grandparents' divorce papers, 32 pages. The cost varies according to the number of pages.

If you have difficulty, I will look for you if you post the names and dates.

Glynis

Glynis Report 13 Nov 2009 23:38

Thanks for that. I'll go and have a look see.

Glynis

Glynis Report 13 Nov 2009 23:54

Crap! I'm going round in circles.
I need an Albert Riley and Amy Riley nee Ingham
I know they were together on the 1911 census - and Albert re married in 1922 (states divorced on cert) If you can find the link for me I'd be grateful

Glynis

Glynis Report 14 Nov 2009 00:18

Ha! Found it. Got the ref. Number. Where do I order from?

Netty

Netty Report 14 Nov 2009 00:27

Order your Certs from here Glynis, make sure you tick yes in the "Is the General Register Office Index known" box. Cert will cost you £7.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Glynis

Glynis Report 14 Nov 2009 00:34

Netty
Its divorce papers I'm after not marriage cert. Thanks all the same.

I have navigated National Archives got the ref and ordered.
Thanks all

Netty

Netty Report 14 Nov 2009 00:38

Sorry Glynis, my mistake, time for bed i think lol.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 14 Nov 2009 04:23

Never had to access divorce papers before. Let us know what information you get.

Margaret

Netty

Netty Report 14 Nov 2009 10:13

Margaret. Not sure what information will be in the Divorce papers that Glynis has ordered but, when i ordered Divorce papers from TNA for a Divorce in 1929, i received 17 pages !. He said, She said, He did, She did, some of it was quite detailed & upsetting but i'm still so glad that i have them. Also contained Childrens information, Addresses etc.

Hope you receive lots of information to help you too Glynis.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 14 Nov 2009 12:15

Thanks Netty.

I checked out the archives and noticed you can see the name of co -respondent. Also they have them up to 2002 with a 30 year closure

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 14 Nov 2009 19:46

Amokavid.

Sorry I did not read your full detailed information. I was looking at the Catalogue J77 under record Summary where it said covering dates 1858-2002 .
Availability subject to 30 year closure