Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

confused

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrisu

Chrisu Report 21 Nov 2009 11:56

In 1911 Emma Edwards, widow is living with her married daughter (Mary) Ellen Taylor her husband William (occupation potters printer) and children Edwin, William and Harold at 21 Berkeley Street Hanley Stoke on Trent, Mary Ellen Edwards can be found in 1884 marrying William Henry Taylor, so far so good, but I cannot find Mary Ellen and William Henry Taylor in 1891 or 1901, but can find William H Jackson with wife Mary E and children Edwin, William and Harold, children correct ages, occupation of father potters printer, living at 21 Berkeley Street Hanley Stoke on Trent in 1901 and the same family William, potters printer, wife Ellen, and children Edwin and William in 1891 again living in Hanley but at a different address.
Could this be the same set of people using the name Jackson in 1891 and 1901 and Taylor in 1911? and if so why? Any ideas gratefully received as I can’t fathom it out at all!

Thelma

Thelma Report 21 Nov 2009 12:03

Have you checked for the childrens births in both surnames?

Chrisu

Chrisu Report 21 Nov 2009 12:07

There is a Harold Jackson and a Taylor that could fit, the same with William but there only seems to be an Edwin Taylor on freebmd

Thelma

Thelma Report 21 Nov 2009 12:23

I cannot find an Edwin Jackson birth in Stoke dist.?

Chrisu

Chrisu Report 21 Nov 2009 12:32

I have almost convinced myself that this is the same family, same address, occupation, ages and first names in 1901 and 1911 but different last name - only question is can I prove it somehow?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 21 Nov 2009 12:53

I have come across one instance of this, no idea why but I assumed they were "in hiding", maybe debts or similar! Luckily they had an unusual name which made it easier. If it were not for the distinctive occupation I would say they were a different family, but I think there is a good chance they are one and the same. Not sure you can prove it any more than this though.

Have you looked for the Jacksons 1911?

Jan

Chrisu

Chrisu Report 21 Nov 2009 13:48

Hi Jan
yes I have had a look for the Jackson family in 1911 and couldn't find them.....

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 21 Nov 2009 20:45

It seems odd to be married as Taylor, assume the name Jackson for 20 years and then go back to Taylor, but with the same address and other details it seems likely to be the same family.

Was one of the children born a Jackson and it was this child that gave the census information to the enumerator?