Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce 1945-1950

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tetley

Tetley Report 22 Nov 2009 19:53

Hi All

If a person got married for a second time around 1950 would it Show on the new marriage certificate that he or she was was divorced or would it just say Bachola or Spinster

Thanks

Kate

Kate Report 22 Nov 2009 19:56

Assuming they told the truth, yes. My grandparents' marriage certificate states that Grandma was "the divorced wife of Clarence Briggs" in the marital status column, but I suppose it would depend on what the divorced person told their new spouse - possibly they may not have mentioned a previous marriage at all?

Tetley

Tetley Report 22 Nov 2009 20:04

Hi Kate

Many thanks for your reply. This is most helpful.

Kind Regards

Tetley

Tetley Report 22 Nov 2009 20:21

Hi Joan

Thankyou for your reply.

This is really helpful

Kind Regards
Tetley

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 22 Nov 2009 22:19

My late husband was a divorced man when I met him. On our marriage cert, it says 'previous marriage dissolved'

Tetley

Tetley Report 22 Nov 2009 23:58

Hi Freewheel

Thankyou for replying. I think I have opened a can of worms back in our family.

Thanks to all who have replied