Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deleting errors on Genes Reunited Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 22 Nov 2009 22:43

I have made errors on my tree by adding duplicate relatives. The system will not let me delete them as"they are connected to multiple relations". To correct the mistakes,I will end up having to delete most of the tree which has taken me a long time to do.Surely, the site will allow you to correct a mistake? Any ideas how to resolve.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 23 Nov 2009 07:56

If the system won't let you delete the box, then you can enter the word deleted for name and surname, but I think you can't delete the birth year.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Nov 2009 08:13

Are you aware that the GR system automatically adds a blank partner / spouse when you enter a child? Many members are not and this is the biggest single cause of having duplicate names. You then go on to add the partner yourself and end up with two.

The trick is to delete the one that you have added, and change the details for the auto added one to what they should be. If you have children attached to both, then use the change parent option so.

If you can't do it this way, GR do offer the fix the problem for you if you send them a message with the exact details of what you need changing.

Alternatively, why not ask Santa for a tree program such as Family Tree Maker? This way you maintain your master details on your PC and simply upload a file to GR every now and again.

Thelma

Thelma Report 23 Nov 2009 10:16

You cannot delete from the middle of a family line,only from the ends.

In the case of Bill Smith married to (mother) and Mary Jones;
Click on (mother) There should be no parents only children.
Click on child,click on change parents and select Mary Jones
You will be left with (mother) no parents and no children
Now delete.

Some duplicates cannot be avoided such as when cousins marry.
They have to appear twice.

Carol

Carol Report 28 Nov 2009 12:27

Thank you for all the help. I have learnt a lot from the replies! I am now looking for tips on software for my PC for building familty trees. I am looking for one which will allow me to upload photos, certificates and if possible, video/cine recordings.Any Ideas?
I may have posted this on wrong board so I wil post on a suitable thread( if I can find one).
Many thanks again!l

Carol

Carol Report 29 Nov 2009 00:37

I am trying to use the option ( Jim's suggestion) of "click on child "and then "change parent". I cannot find this option. Do you click on the box with the persons name on on the tree or do you use edit button? Either way, I cannot get them to work or am I missing another option?
carolAre they