Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to determine if user is still active

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CarolinAustralia

CarolinAustralia Report 23 Nov 2009 19:39

Is there a way in which to find out when a member last accessed GR - I keep sending messages to a member which say are successfully sent (but til now have gone unread).

Unfortunately this seems to be the one person I really need to help with a side of my tree that I am just starting out on.

I found her on the My Surname Summary Interest page with a post dated 2003 and she still has the info in the tree search area so would really like to make sure she is still around.

Any ideas anyone??

Many thanks

Carol

CarolinAustralia

CarolinAustralia Report 23 Nov 2009 20:01

One of those "black hole" issues obviously - oh well not to worry worth a try.

thanks Dane

Carol

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2009 21:23

Carol

unfortunately there is no way to find out whether a member is still active.

I don't think even GR knows!

They report their membership at 10 million, and counting.

How many members are active???

Members consist of free members and subscribing members

If a member stops paying their subscription, GR reverts them to being a free member

.......... and free members remain registered for ever (makes a good selling point!!)

Trees are not de-activated or removed.

I heard recently that there is at least one person on here who only checks the site once a year.

GR does send a member an email to their home address whenever a pm is posted ...... so she must have been notified

HOWEVER ...... if she has changed her email address and forgotten to notify GR, then obviously the message will not get through to her.

She may be ill, or dead.

All of those last 3 suggestions are valid if she is not opening her mail on here.

sylvia

Susan

Susan Report 24 Nov 2009 17:33

How about if we solve this ourselves by putting Ex or Free after our first name just before going "dormant"?

I just tried changing my name to "Susan Ex" and it came up as that up the top by "Standard Member".

CarolinAustralia

CarolinAustralia Report 24 Nov 2009 20:58

Thanks everyone

I have been sending PM's so changed tactic and actually put a reply against the "looking for" post hoping she may spot that and alluding to the fact that her email addy may be out of date.

Carol

Jilliflower

Jilliflower Report 24 Nov 2009 22:00

My subscription is about to run out. Exactly what can I access when I am just an ordinary mortal again?
thanks
Jill

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Nov 2009 19:14

Jillian - From the Site's T's and C's

"
(A) Free Members

(i) Core Service Use and Benefits for Free Members.

Free Members may:

* (a) use the free facilities available on the Genes Reunited Service to add all or part of their family tree;
* (b) search for individuals using criteria specified by the Genes Reunited Service;
* (c) receive email messages sent by Standard and Gold Members. These will be sent to your registered email address and can be viewed in the Message Centre on the Genes Reunited Service.

(ii) Non-Core Service Use and Benefits for Free Members.

Free Members may also:

* (a) upload photographs and videos. If any photograph or video contains the image of a living person, the member uploading it must obtain the prior consent of that person to the photograph or video appearing on the Genes Reunited Service; and
* (b) opt to receive our newsletter or personalised notification emails relating to individuals listed in the Genes Reunited Service or in census records which appear to be a reasonably close match to people included in your family tree.

For full details about our email communications with you please see our Privacy Policy.

"

I understand that you can also respond to messages sent to you personally,