Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mormon migrants

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 24 Nov 2009 11:26

Have 2 families on my tree that were born in the Hull area 1880 onward but died in Salt Lake Utah USA.
Would like totry to trace their journey. Has anyone some tipson what sites to use.
Thankyou Sylvia

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2009 12:35

Mormon LDS family Search is free and is based in Utah

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 24 Nov 2009 12:42

thank you Ann

Regards Sylvia

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 24 Nov 2009 13:22

There are lots of records available for Mormon pioneers. Try googling the name and Mormon pioneers.
Also Utah death certificates available free here:

http://archives.utah.gov/digital/81448.htm

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 24 Nov 2009 15:34

Thankyou Margaret, Will try your suggestions.

Regards Sylvia

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 2 Dec 2009 20:00

Thanks for all previous advise.
U have found death certificates for the families concerned and on them, quite helpfully, it tells me how long they have lived in USA . This hopefully will give a lead to trace passenger lists. One of the families arrived there in 1926.
Please can someone point me in the right direction.

Thankyou Sylvia

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Dec 2009 20:50

Would they have arrived in New York? Ellis Island site is free, you just have to register.

http://www.ellisisland.org/

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 2 Dec 2009 21:23

Hi, thankyou for that info. Will give it a try. I really have no idea where they left from or landed. But will keep looking.

Regards Sylvia

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 3 Dec 2009 04:07

Thanks for all advice. Search OVER for this one. They went from Liverpool to Salt Lake via QUEBEC on the MONTCALM.
Kind gentleman on ancestry found it, don't know how, But thats team work for you. You have all been great but I would never of thought of Quebec !!!

Thankyou again, have learnt so much from you.

Regards Sylvia

''Eastender''

''Eastender'' Report 3 Dec 2009 06:16

Sylvia,if you have found the Death Certs, does it say where they were buried.
I live in Salt Lake and can get to quite a few of the Cemetaries,if their buried in one close by i could get you photo's if you would like.
Pam

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 3 Dec 2009 09:26

Hi, what a kind offer. Thankyou. Here are the details I have.

Thomas Wharram b 1878 d1947 Buried Salt Lake City Cemetery
His wife
Elizabeth Alice Chapman Wharram b 1879 d 1940 buried same cemetery.

Herbert Longman b 1882 d 1955 buried same cemetery
His wife
Ethel Chapman Longman b 1888 d1964 suspect buried same cemetery but have not found her death cert yet.

Regards Sylvia. Please let me know of any expense involved and I will reimburse you. Thankyou again.

''Eastender''

''Eastender'' Report 3 Dec 2009 15:47

Your welcome Sylvia,
I will try and get there this weekend,dont worry about any expense I am happy to do it. Salt Lake Cemetery is about 15-20 mins from my house.
Pam

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 3 Dec 2009 16:26

Hi Pam, have pm'd you

Sylvia