Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A family mystery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LB

LB Report 25 Nov 2009 11:28

I had some much appreciated help from this site recently finding an entry on the 1861 census and I’m hoping that those here may be able to help me unravel a family mystery! I shall try and keep it as short as possible.

Susan Roberts (born c1863 Batley, W. Yorks) had an illegitimate son Percy in 1882 in Batley. She married his father (who we now know to be John Edward Richardson) three years later in 1885 in Batley. Susan used her married name of Richardson in the census’ from 1891 onwards but Percy remained a Roberts.

John Edward Richardson never appears with Susan and Percy on any of the census records and this is said to have been because he stole a patent to some mill machinery and fled to America (leaving Susan and Percy behind) with the police hot on his heels!

In the 1911 census Susan described herself being married for 26 years and as only ever having had the one child – who we know to be Percy.

From Susan and John’s marriage certificate I know that John was born c1863 and that his father was Benjamin Richardson, a Bottle Maker.

The only entry I can find on the 1881 census for a John E Richardson, born c1863 with a father called Benjamin is on RG11, Piece 4547, Folio 29, Page 8. They live in Batley, (although some of their children, including John E, were born in Liverpool). However, Benjamin’s occupation was given as a Grocer and Provision Dealer.

I have looked this family up on the other census records and in 1871 Benjamin was a Glass Bottle Maker. In 1891 he was a Glass Worker and in 1901 a Glass Bottle Maker again.

Annoyingly I cannot find this Richardson family on the 1861 census.

All the census’ give Benjamin and his wife Mary as being born in areas close to Batley.

I would appreciate a second opinion on my research. Is there any way of proving that this is the right John Edward Richardson?

Many thanks

LB

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Nov 2009 11:45

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
about John Edward Richardson
Name: John Edward Richardson
Year of Registration: 1862
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 104

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Nov 2009 11:49

George K Richardson Benjamin,Mary abt 1859 England Son Liverpool, Lancashire

LB

LB Report 25 Nov 2009 12:04

Thanks SatNav. That John Edward Richardson on the index certainly matches in age the one that married Susan Roberts. It would certainly make sense that he had older siblings as Mary would have been in her mid-twenties when John was born. A bit old for a first child I’d say.

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Nov 2009 12:07

I thought you had 1871?
1871 England Census
about George W Richardson
Name: George W Richardson
Estimated birth year: abt 1859
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Benjamin
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Civil parish: Liverpool
Ecclesiastical parish: New Parish and Vauxhall
County/Island: Lancashire
Registration district: Liverpool
Sub-registration district: Howard Street
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Household schedule number: 154
Household Members: Name Age
Benjamin Richardson 34
Mary Richardson 32
George W Richardson 12
Allen Richardson 10
John E Richardson 8
Mary E Richardson 6
Joseph Richardson 4
Elizabeth Richardson 3
Bridget Murphy 20

LB

LB Report 25 Nov 2009 12:11

Yes, you are right, I do have the 1871 with George. A senior moment sorry. Can't see the wood for the trees right now.