Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish/New York family search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 28 Nov 2009 20:31

I am looking for Margaret Davis born New York 25/3/1877. Baptised in Brooklyn SS Peter & Paul 15/4/1877. Her parents Antony Davis and Anne, formerly Mason. Margaret was brought to Ireland as a child, eventually becoming a Dominican nun. No birth records are held in the Municipal Archives New York, can anyone suggest where I go form here. I'm sure Antony Davis came from Dublin, possibly Donabate. The information I have on Margaret Davis I obtained from her convent house, now I'm trying to fill in the gaps about her parents.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 28 Nov 2009 23:06

Peter... In the absence of any other info.I have checked for an Anthony Davis entering the US between 1865 and 1877...there are only 2 listed that I have found ...
1867 September 30th. SS Chicago out of L.Pool and Queenstown.
Anthony Davis 31yrs. Laborer.place of birth Ireland
I cannot locate any manifest for this Departure... can only find the SS Chicago leaving March and 26th Dec 1867...he is not either one.

The other is Anthony Davis aged 28 Carpenter left Glasgow Scotland on the SS Europa 7 June 1871.
Dont know if this helps any...

Teresa

Teresa Report 29 Nov 2009 10:13

There is this marriage

Mason Annie Jul 05 1874 Kings 1383
Davis Anthony Jul 5 1874 Kings 1383

might give extra info.

There is also this link to request certs.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/marriage.shtml

teresa

Peter

Peter Report 29 Nov 2009 17:12

Thank you Erin and Teresa for you time. I have just now sent off for the marriage cert. for Anthony and Annie Mason. On receipt of this document it should say what Anthony's profession is which will confirm one or the other. Many thanks
Peter

Peter

Peter Report 26 Feb 2012 00:34

Anthony Davis I can confirm was a Sailor from Ireland. He married Annie Mason in New York on 5/07/1874. Their daughter Margaret was born in New York on 25/03/1877. She I understand came to Ireland as a child, I've still not been able to find out if she returned with her parents as there is no mention of Anthony and Annie anywhere. They all seemed to have disappeared apart from Margaret who becomes a nun in November 1901 in Stroud. Anthony’s parents were Nicholas Davis and Margaret McGraw and Annie’s were James Mason and Margaret( Gillasy ?) all from Ireland. Any help in tracking down these families would be most welcome.

Liam

Liam Report 26 Feb 2012 04:30

possible connection !!!

Birth - Anthony Davis - born 21st June 1882.
Baptism 26th June 1882, St Mary, Pro Cathedral

Father - Anthony Davis
Mother - Anne Mason
Sponsor- Susan Mason
Priest - Richard M Colahan
Address- Cross Lane, Dublin

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Feb 2012 09:32

Peter....

Given what Liam found and cross ref ..... There is a distinct possibilty this is Margarets family.....The "Nicholas" christian name is not common and given your Anthony's father was named Nicholas one could expect the first male born to be named after his grand father....All are listed as b. Dublin so I assume the family returned home straight after the birth of Margaret aged 24yrs...*(as you know she is at St Rose' Convent Stroud 1901)

1901 Census...House No 3 Bolton Parade Rotunda Dublin

Davis Anne 17 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Not Married -
Davis Clare 9 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Not Married -
Davis Kate 22 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City - Not Married -
Davis Mary 19 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Not Married -
**Davis Anthony*** 49 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Dublin Carter Married -
Davis Anthony 18 Male Son Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Not Married -
Davis Nicholas 23 Male Son Roman Catholic Dublin City Carter Not Married -
Davis John 11 Male Son Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Not Married -
**Davis Anne 49*** Female Wife Roman Catholic Dublin City - Married

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Feb 2012 09:38

Residents of a house 3 in Bolton Parade (Rotunda, Dublin)

Davis Anthony 60 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Dublin Carrier Widower - 30 10 8
Davis John 23 Male Son Roman Catholic Dublin City Labourer Single - - - -
Davis Katie 24 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Dublin At Home Single - - - -
Davis Mary 22 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Dublin **Nest Making** Single - - - -
Davis Annie 21 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Dublin At Home Single - - - -
Davis Clare 18 Female Daughter Roman Catholic City Dublin French Polisher Single - - - -

Would love to know what that implies...????

Peter there is an Anthony Davis (50yrs) and sister Susan living out at Donabate but both are single......

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Feb 2012 09:49

Peter.....This is Clare's Baptism Pro Cathedral.....

Sponsors:Martha Maroney and Joseph O'Keefe....(He was Sponser for the whole page of Baptisms ...poplar man!!!)

www.churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

You can check out the others but I cant find Nicholas'b.1878

Name CLARA DAVIS
Date of Birth 9 February 1889
Address 3 CROSS LANE
Father ANTHONY DAVIS
Mother ANNE MASON

Peter

Peter Report 26 Feb 2012 16:50

Thank you both for all of this information you have done a fantastic job. To enquire if Nicholas could have been the brother of my great grandfather William Davis born about 1820 and married to Mary Anne Condon of Donabate I might be asking to much of you. The reason I ask my mother always refered to Sister Francis (Margaret Davis ) as Aunt and I'm trying to work out our family connection. Once again thank you so much

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 26 Feb 2012 22:10

Peter
Will see if I can find a connection....might take some digging around...
Can we assume the family above is your Anthony...?

Peter

Peter Report 26 Feb 2012 23:28

I’m sure you have cracked it. I see Anthony Davis was a widower in 1911 it would be interesting to know when Annie died better still when Anthony and his father Nicholas died. Although my mother referred to Margaret (Sister Francis) as her aunt I’m sure this was not the case, most likely Anthony and my grandmother Jane Davis were cousins, and this would confirm Nicholas Davis and my great Grandfather William Davis were brothers. Once again thank you for your assistance you have been my lifeline.

Peter

Peter Report 9 Mar 2012 23:34

Jane Davis my grandmother had a sister named Elizabeth born in Donabate Ireland in 1860. On Jane’s marriage certificate which took place in Bootle in 1904, one of the witnesses was Eliza Hubbard the other George Wiseman. I thought that Eliza Hubbard may have been the elder sister of Jane. I have searched and found one possible marriage with an Elizabeth Davis and a William Hubbard which took place in Liverpool in 1874; this would have made Elizabeth only 14 or 15 at the time. The wedding certificate proved that this was not my Elizabeth Davis. I’ve no idea what became of Elizabeth, she may have remained in Ireland or come to England or even ended up in America like so many of her sisters. I’m wondering if anyone can help me on this please, as I’ve had so much help on here in the past. Many thanks.