Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone advise me how to find an adopted birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 3 Dec 2009 19:58

How does one find a adopted birth certificate. My husband adopted my daughter just beforeshe started school. Her own father had died when she was 3 mths old.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Dec 2009 20:26

She must have been re registered under your surname at the time but I think you are just given a document by the Court with her adopted name on it ??

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 3 Dec 2009 20:35

Hi Catherine

Your daughter will be found in the Birth index under the name you registered her in. This is called her original birth certificate. The birth certificate will be amended and the word 'Adopted' written in one of the columns.

After a child has been adopted they are then placed on the 'Adopted Children Register' in their adoptive name. You can purchase Adoption certificates online through the GRO website.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Gerry

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Dec 2009 21:16

You would have recived an amended certificate if it was a formal adoption which you both had to sign for the court,,as part of the process,