Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Branches of family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 6 Dec 2009 17:35

Hi

I had a connection to a branch of someone else's tree a few years back, and today i found out i was connected to another branch of the same tree. Is it common place to be connected to more than 1 branch of a family tree?

I hope the above sounds right,2 branches same tree but 2 different families.

Mark

Susan

Susan Report 6 Dec 2009 17:41

Hi Mark,
if they all lived in the same area it's probably quite common. People didn't move around much in times gone by. I have a sister & brother who married another sister & brother (just to make it worse both men had the same christian name!).
In some small villages you could almost guarantee that everyone with the same surname was related in some way.

Mark

Mark Report 6 Dec 2009 17:54

It's the first time in 5 years of researching. I was related to this tree because we were directly related to the same bloke,the other was via marriage of 1 of there ancestors marrying my great aunty.

They did live in the same small town,maybe on the same road as most marriages in my family all lived on the same strett.

Mark

Mark Report 6 Dec 2009 17:55

i mean street.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 6 Dec 2009 18:18

My maiden name was Mitchell in 1962 I married someone with an unusual surname. Now 47 years later I am doing my family tree and have found that in 1871 my Mitchells were living in the same house as my, now ex, husbands family. All this 91 years before we met!

I also have two great aunts who were sisters and they married two brothers. Each couple were the witnesses to the other couples marriage and had children around the same time and called some of them by the same name. Very confusing as they all now had the same surname.

Wendy