Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding an address?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Dec 2009 10:22

How can I find the address of Harry Softley in Goole, Yorkshire between 1950-1957 please?

Elaine

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Dec 2009 11:03

It may be on his death cert.
death
Harry Softley Apr-May-Jun 1957 Goole Yorkshire West Riding

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 8 Dec 2009 11:04

Election roll for that period

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Dec 2009 11:29

Thank you all for your replies.

Is there a way to look up electoral rolls online?

Can't get to Yorkshire to search.

Elaine

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Dec 2009 11:45

Electoral Rolls won't help you. Whilst available at the main library in the area, they can only be searched by address.

Only the very recent Electoral Rolls are searchable on-line by name through one of the pay sites offering this service.

Ancestry Phone books only seem to cover about 1980-1984, so that wouldn't help either.

Why not give Goole Library a ring in case they have some old phone books?

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Dec 2009 11:53

Thank you all for your suggestions - can't believe how helpful you have been.

Yes, I am looking for the address, so based on your replies I think I will send for his death certificate as I believe they do give their address.

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 8 Dec 2009 13:02

Death certs do not necessarily give the address of the deceased person.

They give where the person died, could be hospital / nursing home or the home of a family member rather than their address.

They also give the name and address of the informant, but this may not be someone who lived at the same place as the deceased person.

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Dec 2009 14:55

Thanks Helen in Bucks and Piglets Pal for the information, will certainly follow-up your suggestions.

Elaine