Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has anyone else come across the same thing?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 10 Dec 2009 14:15

I've been searching like many of us for more than one branch of my tree and have come across two families with the same surname from the East End of London where both heads have the same name, as do the wives and a couple of the children whose ages are similar.

Has anyone else found this? Does anyone thing they might be related some how?

BrianW

BrianW Report 10 Dec 2009 15:21

Possible ways to differentiate:
Do the wives have the same place of birth on the censuses?
Have you looked at both marriages on Freebmd or Ancestry?
If on Ancestry are the father on marriage differently named?

In other words, gather all the informationayou can and see what matches and what doesn't.

(I had two Frederick Samuel Jessons to sort out, not a common name you would think, one born Poplar 1874, the other Bromley by Bow 1874: that took some time and digging). Turned out, I think, to be cousins.

GypsyJoe

GypsyJoe Report 10 Dec 2009 16:27

Hi All,

I know which family is mine I was just wondering if anyone had come across the same thing especially since they lived in same area, they lived only a few towns from each other.

It makes it hard to garner much info on the familes since it's the early census's that they are on.

Freewheel

Freewheel Report 10 Dec 2009 16:32

Far from unusual - our ancestors tended not to be very imaginative with regard to the names of their offspring.

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Dec 2009 09:00

Freewheel - so true. In 1855 Scotland, 47% of boys were named John, James or William.

http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/files/04table2.1.pdf

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 13 Dec 2009 09:33

I have a similar situation. There are 2 families - one mine - where all the names bar one of the children are identical, and they have virtually identical birth years too!!. And lived in the same area. I have been unable to link them, though I feel there must be a connection somewhere. The only thing that saved the day was that one "pair" of children was of a different gender! Just shows how careful you have to be.
Jan

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Dec 2009 11:22

Oh yes, I've had this too. I have two lots of Edward Taylors married to Sarah Taylor with Children called Edward, George, Sarah all born in the same place, now both living in somewhere completely different but just a few doors apart. Both Edwards (senior) have the same occupation and both Edwards (Jnr) have the same occupation but different to that of their fathers. Worse still they also have a neighbour whose first name is Edward, married to Sarah and their surname is Holmwood which is the place of birth of the other two families.

I took one look at all this and headed straight to the other side of the tree for a good while!

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 13 Dec 2009 11:53

Google
English naming pattern
Scottish naming pattern
Welsh naming pattern
Irish naming pattern

This explains why so many families had the same names. It also shows the importance of getting marriage certs to establish the fathers name and occupation so you can sort them out in the census

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Dec 2009 12:09

The Rimmer family of Southport are a good example. Even when you receive a certificate there is no knowing if you have the correct one. Perm from John, Elizabeth, Richard Thomas Margaret and Robert.