Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adolphus Herra b.1842 Paris

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 12 Dec 2009 19:24

Hi my great-grand uncle
adolphus is described as 'naturalised British' on the 1901 census. I know he was born in France (and later moved to England and Ireland), as was his mother Marie Rose Leclere. Would his father Emanuel Herra have had to be British in order for Adolphus to become 'naturalised', or could Adolphus become 'naturalised' after moving there and later applying for citizenship? Emanuel Herra was his father, but there is absolutely no record of him (Emanuel) either in England or Ireland. Adolphus and his brother ended up in Ireland, where they seem to have fathered every Irish Herra on record! Thanks for any help.

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 12 Dec 2009 19:48

Thanks JAE4. I re-read my post and realised I hadn't made it clear that it is actually any record of the father Emanuel Herra that I am trying to trace, so I have corrected that. I know he had two sons, Adolphus and Emanuel Henry Jasper (who was born in London and later appears as Henry Edward), but I can find no record of Emanuel himself. As Adolphus appears as 'naturalised British' I am wondering if that means his father Emanuel was British. Thanks again

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Dec 2009 22:28

Naturalized British means he took naturalization ie he took British citizenship Google for an explanation .
You may find his naturalization papers a Kew ,Look on the National Archives site to see if these are online .put his name in and press search.

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 13 Dec 2009 18:46

Hi Shirley. I'll do what you say and hope it gets me somewhere.
Many thanks