Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

viewing trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

julianl

julianl Report 16 Dec 2009 10:07

Hello
I created my own tree and saw I had some "hot matches". It said I needed to subscribe to be able to view other people's tree so I just paid my subscription.

I did a "search trees", found someone that matched, but I cannot see how to view their tree. It only gives me a form to email them. How do I view actual family trees other than my own?

Thanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Dec 2009 10:21

You can not view other trees automatically, the other member has to grant you permission first.

It is usually best to establish some sort of relationship of trust first before asking to see their tree.Send them a polite email, explaining how you think you may be connected.

Some members are happy to grant access straight away without asking, others are more protective and may not wish to do so until they are absolutely sure you are genuine.

It is best to avoid sending the auto generated 'Can I see Your Tree?' message, as some can find it a bit off putting.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Dec 2009 10:21

you have to ask them if you can view their tree

julianl

julianl Report 16 Dec 2009 10:36

Thanks for the reply and the tips. Much appreciated.

Yikes, that is very dodgy wording by Genes Reunited then. I paid because the subscription page had a big tick next to view 9 million family trees. Understandable that they keep people's details private, but a tad misleading to say the least!

May I ask, do many people reply to requests for more information then? Is it worth paying the subscription? And if they aren't paid members is it best to send them your email address in your initial contact, or will they be able to contact you back anyway?

Thanks again.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Dec 2009 10:54

well it;s just under a tenner for six months so not bad really - you have to buy credits to view records, but then I always use the free Mormon LDS site for that - cheapskate me!!!!!

Ann X

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Dec 2009 11:03

Free Members can reply to messages sent by Full Members, but can't initiate messages, nor view trees. So you could view their tree, but not the other way around.

Many members do exchange emails but again you need to be sure who you are dealing with, or you could end up with loads of unwanted spam if they unwittingly broadcast it. Probably best to wait until you have established some sort of relationship.

julianl

julianl Report 16 Dec 2009 11:06

Thank you both again for the advice. I agree it is still good value, bit naughty wording it that way though. "View trees of over 9 million Genes Reunited members" hmm.

Regards

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Dec 2009 20:41

Just to say it is well worth-while. Most members (if they are still active) will ask a few questions to ascertain that you sound genuine (some don't care whether you are or not), and give you access. Make sure you ask them if they want access to your tree too, once you have had a look at theirs - it is only manners, even if they have more info than you.

As well as gaining info from other people's trees (and please check it out as if it were your own research, don't just accept what they have there), you can make friends and share research on tricky areas. Some of my contacts are on my Christmas Card List!!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 16 Dec 2009 20:42

Just to say it is well worth-while. Most members (if they are still active) will ask a few questions to ascertain that you sound genuine (some don't care whether you are or not), and give you access. Make sure you ask them if they want access to your tree too, once you have had a look at theirs - it is only manners, even if they have more info than you.

As well as gaining info from other people's trees (and please check it out as if it were your own research, don't just accept what they have there), you can make friends and share research on tricky areas. Some of my contacts are on my Christmas Card List!!

Hot matches were my first reason for joining here, and were great!

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 18 Dec 2009 11:44

If you know names and a little history it well worth searching through the free public family trees at Ancestry.