Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Marriages on Ancestry>>>>>

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 19 Dec 2009 14:52

Even if you already have a copy of a marriage certificate that you have already purchased from GRO or a register office please look at the certificate if it on Ancestry as I have found quite a few marriage certificates with my ancestors actual writing on that I have been able to add to my tree. Lots of the certificates I had were copies even those handwritten. I am really pleased to see the witnesses actual signatures to. Good luck Irene

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Dec 2009 15:15

Hi Irene
I do agree, i have several certs but its nice to see the actual church record and to see the signatures, makes the ancestor's somehow more real.

Norma

Norma Report 19 Dec 2009 15:41

Hi
I have looked and downloaded these also. They are brilliant!! I agree I love to see my ancestor's handwriting.
Love Norma xx

Ann

Ann Report 19 Dec 2009 19:06

I ordered a marriage cert from GRO some while ago. I looked at it on London Marriages and found the GRO cert was wrongly copied! It made a lot more sense with the correct Bride's father's name. To think I paid £7.00 for that too!

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 19 Dec 2009 22:11

Have to say that initially did not find much, but after checking which ancestors actually lived in London have found lots of children that must
have died, missed the census.
Carol

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 19 Dec 2009 22:13

Realise that you are talking about m/c but births are good to.
Carol

LizRees

LizRees Report 19 Dec 2009 22:19

Hi Irene,

I agree - this is a great tip, something I only discovered last week!

It's also possible to find marriage banns, which are often another way of finding both parents for a person.

Also baptism records.

I don't have a full Ancestry subscription but a very kind GR researcher sent the scans to me.

Liz