Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 22 Dec 2009 23:27

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to search for details in wills? I do not know the area in which the death may have occurred, but I have the full name and birth year of the person I am interested in, and also full details of his spouse.

Many thanks!
Martin

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Dec 2009 08:18

Just a brief "extra". In the main library where I live (B'ham), where all the archives are stored, there are books listing wills from 1858 onwards. These are in years and alphabetical order so you do not need a location, though obviously an unusual name helps!! A bit of detail is included in each entry however. For example, my ancestor's wife is mentioned, also how much he left.
I don't know if all places hold such references but I would think it likely. Maybe Jonesey knows!

Jan