Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding a grave

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hurrahforjohn

Hurrahforjohn Report 27 Dec 2009 01:05

Could anybody help me with advice on finding my grandmothers grave.

She died in 1927 Stoke on trent i have got the death cirtificate
now i would like to find out where she is buried.

Thankyou John.

Sue

Sue Report 27 Dec 2009 12:36

You might be lucky with www.findagrave.com. I've managed to locate several of my relatives on the site.

Sue

Hurrahforjohn

Hurrahforjohn Report 27 Dec 2009 17:33

Thankyou Sue, Elaine and Joan.

John.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 27 Dec 2009 18:54

John, try

http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/community--people-and-living/burials-and-cremations/burials/

Three large cemeteries that I have dealt with have charged me nothing for some quite extensive searches, providing they don't take too long. If they have been really helpful I have sent a donation to the local hospice. Looking for a single burial might be almost a few seconds of a job.

If she is buried in a churchyard the search will be more difficult as there will be dozens if not hundreds of churches in the area, with variable qualities of records. If nothing turns up an a municipal cemetery, it will likely mean a visit to the Stoke on Trent Records Office (wherever that is) and a trawl through the registers.

Hurrahforjohn

Hurrahforjohn Report 29 Dec 2009 19:28

Thankyou Madmeg.

John.

Hurrahforjohn

Hurrahforjohn Report 3 Jan 2010 00:33

I have visited the Hanley archives today and found entries in the Evening Sentinel for when my grandmother died.

The first said she had passed away and the address and where the funeral
service would be St Lukes Wellington Hanley.

I will visit the church tomorrow .

John.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 3 Jan 2010 00:52

That's good news John, well found.