Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching free bmds on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 28 Dec 2009 19:09

When you search for a marriage on Ancestry and it says view others on page, does anyone know if there is a way to be sure which two actually got married, is it the one next to the one you are looking for.

Please can anyone help with this, thanks

Marilyn

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 28 Dec 2009 19:40

until 1911 when the surname of the bride / groom was listed on the GRO index you cannot be sure which spouse goes with which

you can deduce this from later censuses or from children born post 1911 where the mother's maiden name is listed in the index

or you can try to track down the parish register, some counties also have their own indexes which may show the correct spouse (e.g. westmidsbmd)

or you can buy the cert

Thelma

Thelma Report 28 Dec 2009 19:45

The normal way pre 1911 is to find the couple in a census after the marriage and with the details like place and year of birth find the wife pre marriage.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 28 Dec 2009 20:22

Thanks to you all, I will have a look in the next census, I did look in the 1911 but couldnt be sure it was them, but just realised they were marriedin the 1901. I usually search the parish records for aunts, uncles and cousins and just buy the certificates for grandparents.

Thanks again for your advice.

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 Dec 2009 22:48

As Helen noted, some local rego offices have their own indices (maybe partially) online. To see which:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=local

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Dec 2009 02:22

Sometimes when you check for others on the same page there can be a name missing.
Which area are you researching?

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 29 Dec 2009 10:16

Thanks for all your help, I found them on the 1901 census, just trying topiece everyone together with marriages and find them on the 1911.

Thanks again

Marilyn

Mark

Mark Report 29 Dec 2009 10:52

I always eliminate names first. Say i am looking for the marriage of my 2 x great grandfather Thomas Davis and there's 3 men including him and 3 women and they all married in the qtr of dec 1880. What i do is use the 1881 census to match these people,it also helps if they have middle names. I know my 2 x great granddad married my Ann Greenwood because i was able to use the census to match everyone.

Mark

Mark Report 29 Dec 2009 10:59

it doesn't always work,but has worked many times for me,i always use the following census to find who married who.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 29 Dec 2009 14:04

Thanks Mark, I will try that next time I am stuck