Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

downloading tree from genes to family treemaker 20

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mad Alice

Mad Alice Report 29 Dec 2009 15:02

Does anyone know if I can do this and how?
Would avoid alot of typing!
Thank you if you can help. Alice

Andrew

Andrew Report 29 Dec 2009 15:16

If you go to the bottom of the page on GR, you will see the Import/Export Gedcom tab. Click on that and export your tree which is then sent to your email as a Gedcom, which is a standard way of handling the file. You can then save the file to your computer and upload it into FTM, which has a button 'Import Gedcom'.

Andy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Dec 2009 15:17

Scroll down the screen on Genes and click on "Import/Export Gedcom" and follow the instructions. I haven't done it myself but it is supposed to be straight forward.

Kath. x

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 29 Dec 2009 22:26

Mad Alice, did you like me get Famly Tree Maker for Xmas?
I haven't installed it yet - will also need to export from GR. How did you get on? any tips?

Christine

Christine Report 2 Jan 2010 11:15

I have done mine exactly as Andrew says, with success. I did get FTM 2010 for Christmas, and was most excited to be getting 6 months Ancestry membership with it. However, I am so disappointed - I can't look at the the military records or the pre 1837 London Parish records, which I really wanted. Its only a basic membership and doesn't give me any more than I already have on here!

Heather

Heather Report 2 Jan 2010 14:42

But you do get to search free, which you cant with GR? You can upgrade your account on ancestry to the premium one. Go to your account on there and see what they want to upgrade.

Christine

Christine Report 3 Jan 2010 16:06

Heather, I had accidentally allowed my GR Gold membership to renew (I had changed my debit card no and thought they didn't have it - forgot they used PayPal!). This gives me access to all censuses etc. I certainly can't afford another £67 to upgrade the Ancestry at this time of year!