Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish Catholic Baptisms in England.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 29 Dec 2009 15:40

Hi

I know how and where to find Irish Catholic Baptisms in Ireland. But i can not find baptisms for 1st generation English born Irish Catholics baptized in England for the period 1825-1835.

I know Catholic baptisms were not legally recognized in England for many years but please doe's anyone know where or if Catholic registers for England exist for the period 1825-1835?

Mark

Potty

Potty Report 29 Dec 2009 15:46

If you Google, there are a few hits.

Mark

Mark Report 29 Dec 2009 15:50

thanks potty. have tried but will try again. I hope someone doe's what they did for non-conformist registers and make catholic registers available to everyone.

Bren from Oldham

Bren from Oldham Report 29 Dec 2009 16:23

If you are looking for catholic baptisms in Manchester
go to hhtp://mlfhs.co.uk/openarea/cathsearch.htm

Mark

Mark Report 29 Dec 2009 16:43

thanks Bren i will look. It is Leeds and Bradford area that i am interested in.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 29 Dec 2009 22:12

As far as I am aware the baptism registers exist for the RC churches just like the Cof E ones. The main difference being that the registers were usually written in latin and often gave a lot more info such as Date of birth, mother's maiden name, godparents.

I assume Irish Catholics in England would be baptised in the local RC church the same as English. I have looked at a few for the period you are looking at.

I thought baptisms had no legal significance - it was RC marriages which were not recognised which is why 2 certificates for the same couple often exist - one RC & 1 CofE

(Unless anyone knows different....)

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Dec 2009 23:25

I am a Catholic so I should know, but also a noddy.

As Ann says, baptisms have no legal significance so I believe that many of them were not passed on to records centres or even kept for any length of time. I believe there was also a school of thought in the Catholic Church that such records were of no interest to the public.

Don't know if this link will be useful:

http://catholic-genealogy.co.uk/cg/index.htm

Or this one:

http://www.amateur-genealogist.com/catholic_genealogy.htm

Mark

Mark Report 30 Dec 2009 00:16

Thanks Ann and Meg. I believe they where 2 reform acts,1 in 1778 and the other in 1837 for Catholic registration in England. Will look at the website you have given me. Its just that i have Irish Catholics born in England before 1837 and can not find them,i believe that after 1837 all births not baptisms were registered for both catholics and protestants by law.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 30 Dec 2009 20:07

I don't think catholic records were given to the Latter Day Saints when they created the IGI so you may not find them on familysearch.

Recently Scottish Catholic Archives have given their records to Scotlandspeople so you can find catholic Baptisms (and hopefully marriages and burials soon) on their site but I'm not sure about England unfortunately.

For Liverpool, this is a new project/database that has been created:

http://stanthonys-liverpool.com/general/aboutus.php