Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Organisation of notes & bits of paper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 29 Dec 2009 15:57

I try my very hardest to keep it all tidy. I have my A-Z cardboard wallety thing and a file for most of the lines so no excuses, BUT, I am a dab hand at making notes on odd bits of paper - especially if I'm not here at the computer with the files to hand.

Today (at the risk of advertising here) popped into P*p*rch*s* - that stationery type shop with lots of lovely colours. Found a Travel Journal. Spiral bound, A5 size. Several sections - lined paper, plain paper, checked paper plus lots of wallets - paper and plastic to catch all those scraps.

There's a general lined section at the front then a checked paper section (perfect for mini tree workouts) then two distinct sections with lined and plain paper - perfect for my tree and OH's tree ... I am chuffed to bits with it!

Jill

Carter

Carter Report 29 Dec 2009 16:49

sounds like a great buy, i know just what you mean about bits of paper and you can guarantee the the vital piece of info is on a tiny scrap of paper that was here just a minute ago !!!
linda x

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Dec 2009 17:21

Anything helps - and glad it's not just me who does this!! I try to put scribbles on A4 paper and file separately in my folders. But I have now resorted to a box!!
Jan

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Dec 2009 23:55

Well I am glad you have found something that works. I am still trying after 5 years. The pile gets higher, the disorganisation gets worse and the frustration mounts.

I am now up to 3,000 names and have commandeered a drawer of our general filing cabinet which we bought nearly 40 years ago. I have set up pockets for all the main names and the intention is to deposit all those scraps of paper in them. Only problem - two main surnames are empty!

My husband's surname and his mother's surname. Not a scrap about them.

Hope your system works. I have tried at least 20 systems, and they have all failed for me.

Krissie

Krissie Report 30 Dec 2009 15:16

I've got notes on bits of A4 paper too and a couple of exercise books as well as files storing all my official info and certificates.

I started typing out a summary of basic information about each ancestor [birth, marriage, census info, death, etc] on an A4 which is quite handy.

However this is quite impersonal so I intend to flesh it out by writing this info up as a narrative, really telling the story of the people involved.

The only snag is time! I work for most of the week and I have a family to look after so I haven't even got started yet.
A project for my retirement , in 10 years time!