Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with marriage banns

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Erika

Erika Report 29 Dec 2009 19:10

Hi guys,

I googled 'Marriage Banns' and it basically said the purpose of banns is to enable anyone to raise any legal impediment to it.

I found the marriage certificate and a record that has dates of when the upcoming marriage announcements were made.

This is the first time that I have come across a marriage bann in such detail. Does this mean that the announcements were made in a newspaper. Can I do anything else now with this knowledge?

Erika :-) x

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 29 Dec 2009 19:20

they were announced in church 3 times before the marriage and sometimes put at the church entrance.[for those that could read]

Erika

Erika Report 29 Dec 2009 19:24

Ah, so published probably means within the church....

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 29 Dec 2009 19:42

Not necessarily published in the Church - I have a vague recollection that at my first marriage in Catholic Church where there had to be a Registrar present that the banns were also put up in the local Register Office. Certainly at my second marriage which was in the Register Office they were published on the notice board there for 3 weeks before the wedding.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Dec 2009 19:53

Banns would sometimes be read out at the church service on Sunday for 3 weeks before the wedding.
Well they were when I got married

Erika

Erika Report 29 Dec 2009 19:56

Many thanks :-) x

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 29 Dec 2009 20:29

Banns are still read out in Church for 3 consecutive weeks in a period before the wedding. If you don't have banns you need a special license, I think. Banns are kept in a register, so that in itself is an important piece of research.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Dec 2009 20:34

Right ,

in a Catholic church wedding,

marriage by/after Banns is normal-ish......yes?

what about By Certificate?

would that ,mean a hurry up wedding?

or a certified reason, such as a mixed marriage.......(one non catholic faith)

Bob

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 29 Dec 2009 20:48

my first marriage was "mixed faith", Catholic & C of E but banns still read in Anglican church & posted in register office. Not sure what a "certified reason" is

Rachel

Rachel Report 29 Dec 2009 20:51

Banns are only read for Church of England weddings; for all other weddings (eg Catholics, Baptists etc) a notice of marriage is given (this is usually at the register office)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Dec 2009 20:57

I recall banns being read in my R C church when I was a lad.......late 40's. n fifties....
now whether they were patrons of this same church I dont know....
Bob
PS
I have two certs using certificate, one in 1909 where my nan was 23 and he was 35......(registrar office)...in bethnal green, and the other in church,1934 where the bride was non catholic....

Rachel

Rachel Report 29 Dec 2009 21:00

A church of England vicar is a registrar in his own right and there are no notices given in the register office. A Roman Catholic may read out details of people getting married, but this is not the same as Banns.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 29 Dec 2009 23:47

Just to warn that the reading of Banns does not mean the marriage actually took place. Marriage by licence cost more money, so most poor people couldn't afford it. That is why you often find couples living at the same address on marriage, cos they needed to be in the same parish at the time of marriage in order for the banns to be read.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 30 Dec 2009 00:58

Or they said they were living at the same address ...

Also, some couples married by licence just to show that they could afford to!

Jill

Vicki

Vicki Report 30 Dec 2009 14:22

Hi Erika, just read this.
When I was young & a churchgoer, banns were read out in the 'Notices' after main service. It was customary for the engaged couple to attend whichever church was reading the Banns on that day, so they could be seen to be present. If they lived in different parishes, I think Banns were read out in both churches. Of course, nobody ever objected.
My grandparents married in C of E, but by 'Licence' - she was only 16 & did not have parents her parents approval. On the MC her age is stated as '21'. To marry going through normal channels, you needed parents' permission.

Vicki

mgnv

mgnv Report 30 Dec 2009 14:33

Madmeg - you don't need to be in the parish to have banns read. Banns are normally read at the home parish of the bride and of the groom, so an artificial move like you suggest would mean they would only need to pay for one set of banns to be read.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Dec 2009 18:15

When we married in 1957 in the Catholic Church our banns were displayed in the notice box outside the local Registry Office and a Registrar attended the church to legally marry us in the vestry after the Church marriage had taken place, this was because then the Catholic priests weren,t licensed to perform legal marriages.
They did also each week after the 10.30am Mass read out the marriage intentions that were to take place in the church for the next 4 weeks.
I believe now the Catholic Church is a licensed legal venue and no Registrar is needed to perform a second ceremony

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 30 Dec 2009 20:06

If you marry 'by banns' in the Cof E, they are read out in the Parish Churches of each of the couple, plus at the Church where they are to marry, this happened to me, where I married at my 'family' Church after moving away.