Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Census: Employer, Worker or Own Account

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clare

Clare Report 30 Dec 2009 15:09

Hello,

My great-grandfather has Own and what looks like a/c in this box for his record in the 1901 census. It is then dittoed for his two younger brothers. Am I right in assuming this means Own Account? Does this mean they worked for themselves? They were flower sellers.

Also, I've just noticed that there is another couple with a different schedule number but no new address under them. Could they have been sharing a house?

Thanks

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Dec 2009 15:16

Yes, "own account" means that they worked for themselves.

Kath. x

Andrew

Andrew Report 30 Dec 2009 15:16

Hi Clare

Most probably Yes to both of your questions

Andy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Dec 2009 15:17

Can you give the name and place so we can look at the census ourselves?

You will usually see a single small line between families if they are sharing a house but living as separate households within that house.

If there are two small lines between the families it usually means they are in the next house.

Kath. x

Clare

Clare Report 30 Dec 2009 15:20

Thanks,

It's Charles Buckfield born circa 1882 with his parents Stephen and Emma living in Croydon, Surrey.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 Dec 2009 15:25

Had a look at the image and he is definitely working for himself as a flower seller.

The family are sharing the house with Tom Brown and his wife.

It's probable that they were all just renting rooms as only the quite well off owned there own property at that time.

Kath. x

Clare

Clare Report 30 Dec 2009 15:25

Ah yes, I've just found the lines you were referring to and there's only one. Learnt something new today! :) Thanks