Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greens Keeper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 30 Dec 2009 16:07

My great uncle was a greens keeper for a cricket ground during the 60s, 70s and 80s. What would his job have been? Would it be like a gardener?

Tawny

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 30 Dec 2009 16:09

Looking after the pitch. I think they still have them don't they?

It might have included mowing plus putting out the stumpy things etc.

Tawny

Tawny Report 30 Dec 2009 16:13

They may do but I know nothing about cricket. Thank you for explaining it to me. My Great uncle was lucky he was given a house that went with the job.

Tawny

Jean

Jean Report 30 Dec 2009 16:15

They have greenkeepers at golf clubs, keeping the grass cut , raking bunkers etc.

jean

Sally

Sally Report 30 Dec 2009 19:03

hello my husband was a green keeper on a gricket griund that also had a bowling green he was known as a groundsman green keeper
sally

Mowerman

Mowerman Report 31 Dec 2009 12:38

Hi Tawny,
If he managed the cricket ground he would be called a groundsman or grounds person in this politically correct age.

He would prepare not only the wicket for use, i.e. mow ,water and roll , but numerous other tasks, including mowing the out field, fertilising weed killing the list is end less.

The groundsman would also prepare the ground for any other sports that may be played on it, i.e. tennis,bowls,croquet ,hockey ,football ,etc

Gardeners are more traditionally concerned with flower beds,vegetables and ornamental lawns.

I Have been groundsman since the early sixties, and have worked on all grades of grounds.

Frank

Sally

Sally Report 31 Dec 2009 15:56

hello frank yes i agree with you ny husband started in the early 60,s with london transport from leaveing school at 15 for 20 years untll we moved and continued here untill he found it was taking more of his timr picking up rubbish than looking after thw grass asign of the times i suppose

sally

Tawny

Tawny Report 4 Jan 2010 17:03

Thank you for explaining it to me

Tawny