Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption by step parent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Smiley

Smiley Report 30 Dec 2009 20:18

When there is an adoption by a step parent is there still a "file" to be had by the adoptee?
The adoption happened in 1978, child born 1971.
Natural mother is deceased and adoptive father is not talking. The child, now 38, would like to know who his natural father is, there is no name entered on his orignal birth cert.
Thank you for any help
Sam

sonear

sonear Report 30 Dec 2009 20:26

Hi Sam
I was adopted by a Step parent and a Natural parent and did have an adoption file.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Dec 2009 22:12

Would the birth father's name necessarily be on the adoptive record though?

sylvia

sonear

sonear Report 30 Dec 2009 22:34

I didnt have my birth fathers name on the adoption file I was given,

Smiley

Smiley Report 31 Dec 2009 00:43

Thank you for your replies.
No the fathers name may not be on the file, but it is another avenue to explore.
Thanks again
Sam

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 31 Dec 2009 19:38

I know someone adopted by a step parent.
The adoption file included the natural father's name, although he had not been named on the birth certificate.

Gwyn