Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 31 Dec 2009 13:08

Does any one use Family Historian, if so how easy is it to use , am thinking of buying one but it is a minefield & not sure which to choose, your comments will be appreciated

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 31 Dec 2009 16:26

Jean, I changed from Family Tree Maker to Family Historian last Christmas.. I am really pleased with it, there is so much you can do which you cant do on FTM, and the trees you can re-arrange as much as you want, and add or leave out who you want, there is a queries section where you can ask it to list say everyone you have in any census, or just about anything else you want. (I have little tags on my diagram tree saying which census I have found certain people in, very useful)

It is set out now in a similar way to FTM2009 but is a lot better. If you google Family Historian trial or go to Family Historian .Co.Uk or Family Historian User Group, (this is avery helpful user group similar to the FTM Forum) you can download a fully useable latest version of FH for 30 days, after which you can pay for a `key` to unlock the trial or purchase it from My History or Family Historian if you want some instructions in book form, or if you dont like it your free version just stops.

As I say I definitely recommend this software, but if you want to ask me anything about it please dont hesitate to send me a
private message.

It can be a little complicated if you are not used to it but once you have tried all the things you will be happy with it I am sure, just try the trial.

Marilyn

Jean

Jean Report 31 Dec 2009 21:53

Many Thanks, I will give it a go,
Marilyn I will take up your offer when I get confused & that is not difficult!!!

Happy New Year